Amazon Author Page

Monday, March 22, 2010

Jumping Jack Flash


Bray has taken the spotlight this month. I hope you enjoy his antics as much as I do.

However, he is getting expensive. Replacing all he eats.

My new chair. Will it be next?

Bray has become Jumping Jack Flash on the rocker I just purchased.

I had to buy a new chair to replace the one he was eating. Not the first one he has eaten if you have followed his tale.  A fine wing chair with wood spindles on the arms. Bray found a way to curl up in the chair and lean his head back to nibble on the wood while he appeared to be sleeping. I finally noticed last week that he had almost eaten through the wood. Once done, the chair can not be repaired. A quick trip to the thrift store found a lovely upholstered chair ( for all of $29. I am dog foolish but shopping wise ). Small, deep red in color. Not a speck of wood to be eaten. Perhaps an office chair since the base under the skirt is a metal swivel rocker. I placed it in front of the window and sighed. Such a pretty color. Added pizazz to the room. Smaller in size, the room seemed larger. Six dogs went up to sniff at it and walked away. Oh yes, six walked away from it. That included Bray. Perhaps the chair would hold no interest for him.
I went out with friends for dinner and anxiously opened the door on my return. The chair was still in one piece. The cushion had not been pulled off and eaten (as Bray did with the seat to my leather chair the last of January). I noticed the arm looked darker in color. I went to touch it, damp and with a pin prick tooth mark that had just frayed the fabric. Barely noticeable to the human eye. Bray had bitten the arm and was checking it for tastiness. I grabbed my heaviest quilt and threw it over the chair, tucking it in by the cushion. Problem solved for now.
Last night while talking on the phone I watched as Jake jumped on the chair landing on all fours. He rocked for a minute and then I saw it happen. He realized the chair would move.  Suddenly Bray tilted back and forth, up and down, working that rocker. He looked out across the room with his silly grin and rocked again and again. Up, down, up, down. I think I heard him singing.
I was born in a cross-fire hurricane
And I howled at my ma in the driving rain,
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
But it's all right. I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash,
It's a Gas! Gas! Gas!
My very own Rolling Stone. Let's see how long this chair lasts.
Widow Lesson Learned: It is more fun to have a rocker thats a dog, than a chair that rocks.

No comments: